Sorry for the shouty caps in the title, just wanted to catch your attention.
For anyone who’s been following #FeelGoodFriday, you would be forgiven for thinking that I’m the most annoyingly upbeat and cheery person ever born. Not so. I spend quite a lot of my time being irritated, outraged and angry about things. I have a rule that I’m not allowed to moan about something unless I’ve tried to do something about it but let’s face it, everyone needs a free for all moanfest occasionally.
So here is a list of things that I’m angry about at the moment. They’re not in any particular order and it’s definitely not an exhaustive list:
1. Our ridiculous and comedic government (though let’s face it, the joke got old a while back)
2. Gender marketing
3. Aggressive misogyny (actually any kind but particularly the kind that thrives amongst YouTube comments)[vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/44117178 w=500&h=281]
Ill Doctrine: All These Sexist Gamer Dudes Are Some Shook Ones from ANIMALNewYork.com on Vimeo.
4. Forced prostitution
5. The amount of girls in the developing world who are kept out of school
6. Honour killings
7. Female Genital Mutilation
8. Racism, Sexism, Homophobia and all other discrimination that basically makes one person act like they’re superior to another. They’re not. No one is.
This isn’t very “feel good” I hear you say – correct. However, good sh*t gets done when good people get angry!
Many things on my lists are out with my control (or seem that way anyway) but there are things I can do to make a difference. Too long have we been bombarded with negative images that make problems seem so big that we can’t change them. We can.
Even if all you do is tell people. Raising awareness is your first line of defence against apathy. Apathy is the enemy of positive change!
Next you can support a charity that is working against an item on your HULK SMASH ANGRY list. Get out there and protest, talk to your MP, vote for a different party, start your own political party!
If that last bit sounds ridiculous, have a look at these short clips from the Guardian Activate Summit. Birgitta Jónsdóttir, member of the Icelandic parliament and Rick Falkvinge, founder of the Swedish Pirate Party told their independent tales of changing laws and governments from the inside. At the heart of both movements is the spirit of disruption in order to instigate change. Impressive stuff.:
So… what makes you HULK SMASH ANGRY?